Respiratory Therapy was put to the hardest test in the history of the profession due to the COVID-19 pandemic. In addition to RTs working tirelessly across the globe to combat the virus, publications on the practice have erupted these past two years. The “COVID-19: Lessons Learned” guide combines the literature on COVID-19 and provides evidence-based practices related to the care of these critically ill patients.
COVID-19 will remain a public health concern for years to come, and new problems and findings are surely forthcoming. This guide helps set a strong foundation for the RT’s ability to deliver the best care to patients with COVID-19.
Successful completion of this course requires a score of 70% on the post-test.
This course is sponsored by an unrestricted educational grant from Aerogen.
**Please note that this program requires the participant to view the entire intro video prior to reading the course content, taking the final quiz, and obtaining a course certificate. The primary content of the course, and what the participant is quizzed on, is a pdf document available for download on the Materials tab in the viewer of the course.**
Approved for 4.00 CRCE Hours.
1. Describe the time course of the COVID-19 pandemic.
2. Discuss the role of face masks and vaccines in the prevention of COVID-19.
3. Discuss caregiver protection in the setting of various aerosol generating procedures.
4. Discuss the role of noninvasive respiratory support for treatment of patients with COVID-19.
5. Describe how to use a non-invasive ventilator for invasive ventilation.
6. Discuss the timing of intubation in patients with COVID-19.
7. Discuss the use of invasive mechanical ventilation in patients with hypoxemic respiratory failure with COVID-19.
8. Discuss the use of ECMO in patients with hypoxemic respiratory failure with COVID-19.
9. Discuss technical issues related to oxygen supply in the setting of a surge in demand.
10. Describe the physiology of happy hypoxemia.
11. Compare ARDS in those with and without COVID-19.
12. Discuss the role of prone positioning in patients with COVID-19.
13. Discuss issues with humidification in patients with COVID-19.
14. Discuss the risk of post-extubaton stridor in patients with COVID-19.
15. Describe the role of the strategic national stockpile in the setting of COVID-19.
16. Discuss issues with the use of anesthesia machines for ventilation in the ICU.
17. Discuss the role of the respiratory therapist in care of patients with post-COVID syndrome.